Here’s another focus for 2016 which might seem a little twee but it’s one of the most important things in my life.
I love God with all my heart. He is definitely first in my life. My family is a close second.
My desire is to see them flourish and I take my responsibility as their parent in helping them to flourish very seriously. Actually, it’s the responsibility of helping them to be in the right place to help them to flourish that I take seriously. The right environment, surrounded by the right people is important and doesn’t normally happen by default but through deliberate action on both ours and their part.
Things I won’t do…
- Tell them what to be. Which doesn’t mean I won’t have an opinion, especially if I feel they are undervaluing their potential.
- Make them do what needs to be done to be what they want to be. I’m a great believer that you get what you deserve. I’m not going to stand over the shoulders to make them.
- Give up on them. Whatever, wherever, they are always my girls and they need to know they count on their dad.
- Not say NO to them. If I don’t believe it is the best for them I will tell them. They need to know that dad has their best in mind.
- Hold a grudge against them.
Things I will do…
- Pray for them every day that they stay strong for God and learn to stand in faith, no matter what happens.
- Tell them about our journey and how staying in the House of God has caused us to flourish.
- Encourage them to go for it. To not allow the past ever stop them from going for their dreams.
- Remind them that most dreams only happen over time and with lots of hard work.
- Keep the conversation going. That they know we are always willing to talk and available for them, whatever is going on in their lives. This includes asking awkward questions too.
- Try and stay calm. I know I am not the best at this all the time. I still get cross. I still raise my voice.
- Tell them I love them and get a hug. [They are getting older now so that’s not cool].
There’s so much more but this is my focus ~ helping my girls succeed in all areas of life and to flourish in their relationship with God.
Would you add anything?