I don’t want to misrepresent myself here and look like some kind of spiritual master- I am not. My prayer life is poor, a 3 or 4 out of 10. That might be a bit harsh, let’s just say that there is more than enough room for improvement.
That’s possibly why I am writing this after getting up today and spending about 15-20 minutes praying. It brings some much needed accountability.
This week I was reminded of the thought – pray like it depends on God but work like it depends on you – both parts of that sentence need some attention. I was also reminded to have some things that I want to see happen that ‘only God’ can do.
So, refocused and repurposed, the prayer life gets a boost. Here are some things that help me…
- I try and pray at the same time every day.
- I have specific things I pray for each day, which help to make it not all about me.
- I journal my prayers. This helps keep my attention and I can look back to see what God has done.
- I use the simple TSP approach when I pray – thank you, sorry, please. It maybe a little childish but it works for me.
- I have some ‘only God’ stuff on the lists – for others and for me and my family.
- I make sure I take some time to listen to and get a feel for what God is saying to me. That is the harder part but very important.
I’m not saying this is the only way. The key is to find what works for you and then stick to it. Consistency in anything is usually the key to seeing success, I think the same can be said for most kingdom activities – like prayer, being in church, giving and serving others.
What’s your prayer life like? I would love to hear how you keep your prayer life the strongest it can be